Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Strayer can provide you with your diploma, transcripts, or past course syllabus.

What do I need to do to order a copy of my diploma?

Please contact the Registrar's Office at to request a copy of your diploma.

Diplomas are not provided at commencement. The Final Academic Requirements Evaluation will be completed in your final term of enrollment, during the term when you complete the capstone course. The $150 Final Academic Requirements Evaluation Fee will be applied to your account when you register for your capstone course.

How do I order my official transcript?

You may order an official paper or e-transcript by going to and clicking on Create Account.  If you have a hold on your account, you will not be able to order an official transcript.  Please contact your Success Coach or send an email to if you need additional assistance placing an official transcript order.  


How can I get a copy of a syllabus from a past course?

Syllabus documents are not part of our official student records.  They are administrative/teaching tools and may be changed in any term that the content, term schedule, coursework, weekly assignments, and/or reading list gets updated for any reason.  As a result, we cannot provide you with specific syllabi.

However, we do have course descriptions available in our Strayer catalogs on for anyone to view and it is a free resource.​


If you have questions about your financial records or have a document request, please click on the links below.

Have a question about your financial aid?

Please contact our Student Financial Services team at 1-844-727-4357.

I need some tax forms.

Tax forms are available for printing from iCampus ( by January 31 each year. Past forms are also stored there for you.

You will need your iCampus login credentials to access this site. If you need assistance with retrieving your iCampus login information, please follow the steps below.

Alumni can recover their own ID and password by navigating to iCampus from any web browser and select Forgot Username first, then Forgot Password after you have received your User Name. For addition assistance, you can contact our Tech Support Team at 1-877-642-2999, select option 2 (Strayer), and select option 1 (password resets/login id).

I need help on something not listed here.

Send an email to


For all other questions, please see below, or contact the Alumni Relations Office at

Can I keep my email address? (Requesting a email account)

If you graduated after December 2017, you should have received a email account.  

If you graduated prior to December 2017, you can request a email account by contacting Strayer Online Support at 1-877-642-2999.

Will I retain access to all Strayer Library resources?

All Strayer digital library resources are only available to current students, and not to Alumni.  However, Alumni can visit any Learning Resource Center at a Strayer campus or contact the Ask Your Librarian service at for assistance.


How can I update my contact information like email address?

The Strayer University Business Office handles address and contact information changes. The direct phone number is 844-727-4357.

Are there any discounts available to Strayer Alumni?

Strayer does not have any discount programs available to Alumni, at this time.

The Microsoft Office discount is only applicable to current Strayer students. Once a student graduates, this discount is no longer active.